Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Going to the moon

I hadn't heard anything about it before, but at the library I happened to see a newspaper article about how the 'grey beards' from the Appollo program being tapped to help with NASA's new program to go back to the moon by 2020. Some thoughts immediately ran through my head. First was,"It's about time." Personally I consider our neglect of space and particularly the moon over the last three decades to be one of the best examples of 'no vision' going. Second was "Why 15 years when it didn't take us that long to go from 'never out of the atmosphere' to 'all the way to the moon' the first time." And third was "I wonder what it will feel like to ask Beijing's permission for landing when we get there?" After all some time ago China declared their intention of being on the moon by 2010 and I see no reason to believe they won't do it. After all it is hardly even 'rocket science' anymore and if you are a bit cavalier about life it is even easier. It is hard to see how, if China maintains the intent, they could possibly fail to make it by then and it should be easily within their abilities to put a more or less permanently manned base there in the next five years or certainly ten years. Were I them I would do it just for the propaganda points.

But there are other reasons. And I wondered, back when they made their intentions clear, why it did not cause more concern. Can you think of anyone you would less like to have in position to hurl big stones down at you.?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home